Homeopathy in Psychiatric disorders
Homeopathy is effective in managing many psychiatric and behavioral disorders:
- ADHD [attention deficit hyperactivity disorder]
- MDP [mania depressive psychosis]
- Post traumatic stress
- Anxiety disorders
- OCD [ obsessive compulsive disorder]
- Insomnia &hyper somnolence disorder[ sleep wake disorder]
- Acute stress disorder
- Adjustment disorder
- Intermittent explosive disorder
- Personality disorders
Homeopathic approach is illustrated by
an article written by Dr Sanjana vb in a homeopathic journal [ homeopathic medical panorama by Indian homeopathic medical association]
Intermittent explosive disorder and carcinosin – A constitutional approach
Intermittent explosive disorder it may seem to be a rare disorder from a medical man’s perspective. But any expedition through the route of law may lead us to the fact that most often crimes occur due to momentary explosion of temper .It may be illustrated by incidents like road rage, domestic violence ,murder of business partners and even quarrels and disputes between strangers ending in culpable crime or assault. If the cause of such an emotional outburst or unbridled agitated state of mind is probed in depth it may guide us to “intermittent explosive disorder”. It is a variant of aggressive disorder. Individuals with this disorder experience aggressive impulses which they act upon reflexivity and without thought or concern for the situation and find this lack of control distressing. Physiological symptoms such as tingling, build up of pressure inside the head or chest, or palpitations may accompany the episode. Some individuals report sudden exhaustion or deflated mood after the episode passes. Individuals usually have a history of problems with relationships, job loss, criminal behavior, alcohol abuse and injuries resulting from fights and accidents. Early studies suggested that the violent outbursts may be due to minor neurological abnormalities and hence a full neurological and neuropsychological assessment is often suggested. However, discrete organic pathology is usually not identifiable. In recent years, interest has focused on serotonergic and adrenergic neurotransmitter abnormalities in violence-prone individuals .several episodes of impulsive behavior that result in serious damage to either persons or property, where in the degree of the aggressiveness is grossly disproportionate to the circumstances or provocation, and the episodic violence cannot be better accounted for by another mental or physical medical condition. Persons with this disorder may act even with low degree of provocation.
The individual may describe the aggressive episodes as "spells" or "attacks" in which the explosive behavior is preceded by a sense of tension or arousal and is followed immediately by a sense of relief. Later the individual may feel upset, remorseful, regretful, or embarrassed about the aggressive behavior. They get frustrated by something, or by a rejection, and they 'blow up,' Some psychiatrists who take a cognitive approach to mental disorders believe that IED results from rigid beliefs and a tendency to misinterpret other people's behavior in accordance with these beliefs.
Most people diagnosed with IED believe that other people are basically hostile and untrustworthy, that physical force is the only way to obtain respect from others, Selective perception: The person notices only those features of situations or interactions that fit his negative view of the world rather than taking in all available information Misinterpreting the motives of others: The person tends to see neutral or even friendly behavior as either malicious or manipulative. Denial: The person blames others for provoking his violence while denying or minimizing his own role in the fight or other outburst.
Personalizing: The person interprets others' behavior as directed specifically against him. Aetiology [Causation]
People with impulse control disorders such as intermittent explosive disorder are more likely to have a family history of addiction and mood disorders.
Research also has shown that people with intermittent explosive disorder often grow up in unstable families marked by severe frustration, physical and emotional abuse, alcoholism, violence and life-threatening situations. They often Lack role models to teach them how to control their impulses and emotions.Feelings of insecurity and low self-esteem, which are common among people with the disorder.
They also might become explosive when confronted with situations that remind them-consciously or unconsciously-of frustrating or dangerous experiences from their childhood. But regardless of the causes, explosive episodes are more likely to occur during periods of stress.
In people with IED seratonine level is found to be very low.
Rule out brain tumors, traumatic injuries of the nervous system, epilepsy, or similar physical conditions.
- Medicinal management
Homoeopathic medicinal management
- Nux vomica
- Natrum muriaticum
- Nitric acid
These are some of the medicines used to treat IED after erecting a totality
Acute episodes are managed with acute medicines followed by deep acting remedies based on the predominant miasm. Chiefly selection of antisycotic and anti syphilitic remedies are of great help followed by deep acting antipsorics.
carcinosin as a representative of cancer miasm
Grounds of selection Sycosis:
- Fixed ideas
- Low self esteem
- Destructive impulses
- Degenerated state of mind
- Disposed to fits of anger
- Destructive impulses
- Degenerated state of mind
- Lack of self confidence
- Stupid thoughts
- Criminal mind
Psora: Violent outbursts Anti Miasmatic drugs: carcinosin, thuja, medorrrhinum, syphilinum, nitric acid, sulphur, ars alb.
- Mind anger
- Mind anger indignation
- Mind anxiety
- Mind Contradiction is intolerant of
- Mind destructiveness
- Mind impetuous
- Mind irritability
- Mind kill sudden impulse to
- Mind rage
- Mind malicious
Carcinosin –a constitutional ,antimiasmatic approach
Carcinosin- a nosode from carcinoma Miasm –cancer miasm Carcinosin is a wonderful drug most often overlooked by many of us in the treatment of chronic ailment. This article is just an attempt to throw light on to the fact that carcinosin is a crucial remedy for pediatric age group during the formative years of mental development. Childhood ambience has prime role in the creation of a healthy mind although the influence of genetics can not be ignored. Let us have a look at the carcinosin drug picture and analyze how a carcinosin child evolves as a personality with unbridled emotions.
- Carcinosin is usually indicated in patients with strong family history of cancer ,t.b.diabetes
- Carcinosin child is easily annoyed. obstinate,
Demanding, meticulous, detail, perfectionist and orderly in excess. Fastidious. Carcinosin fastidiousness is not primary, that it stems from a desire to please others
- sleep knee chest position
- Carcinosin has either a craving or an aversion
to one or more of the following: Salt, Milk, Eggs, Fat meat, Fruit
- precocious, intelligent
- He is a depressed child; frightened on seeing cruelties, which may create in him a want of confidence.
- Capricious and hyperactive
- Seeking consolation and appreciation
- Excitable, and also dull, sometimes.
- Even a short nap refreshes
- Carcinosin has a tendency to bite nails until it bleeds
- Sympathetic and compassionate.
- Crying, weeping mood, tearful.
- Weeping in sympathy with others.
- Weeping telling her own sickness.
- Seeker of appreciation; it creates impetus in him.
- Reprimand disturbs him to the core, and puts him off the track
- Blue sclera of infants, is a marked symptom
- cafe-au-lait birthmark on his chest
- Hypersensitive to music (sometimes he does mourn), with very strong sense of rhythm and dance. Children who love to dance
- Fear or liking for thunderstorm. Fear of the dark, dogs and animals in general. Fear of other children at school, does not know defense.
- Aversion to conversation .Very sensitive to reproaches to scares, frights disorders. Night terrors in the child. Major need for affection. Feelings of unhappiness and unhappiness disorder
- We also have a history of serious infectious diseases very early in infancy or in early infancy. In children with a history of insomnia.
- Sleep disturbed, restless. Takes to fall asleep at large influx of ideas awake almost all night, insomnia He wakes up with shivering. Sleeps in knee chest position or arm above the head
- Rash between the shoulder blades, worse undressing
- Patient usually has violent palpitations.
- Carcinosin usually has an unpleasant childhood
Carcinosin is not an anger remedy .But it has crucial role in the treatment of behavioral and aggressive disorder to root out or modify the stigma of miasm left by the formative years and environment.
Let me conclude with a slogan that “a healthy mind is the cornerstone of a healthy society”. So mental health also should be there as our prime concern if there is an earnest desire for peaceful, safe environment as crimes occur at that moment when tranquility is lost and turbulence conquer the mind.
As a system of medicine which emphasizes the role of mind in curing diseases and establishing the “ease” of body and mind homoeopathy has a crucial role in eradicating the malady affecting human minds.